Thursday, August 21, 2014

Junior League, and why you should probably join!


A few months ago, I decided to look into joining my local Junior League chapter. At first, when I thought of Junior League I thought of my grandmother, and it kind of turned me off in the same way that being a debutante like her turned me off. I am a modern, independent woman, after all! But, being new to the Seattle Tacoma area and knowing basically no one, I figured what harm could it do to try it out. And I am so thankful that I did! After the first meet and greet I knew that this is how I wanted to spend my extra time. 

While many may have the preconceived notion that Junior League is just a bunch of women with coiffed hair and pearls meeting for lunch, it really is so much more. Not only do you have to dedicate a certain amount of time every year to the various charities Junior League supports (from Habitat for Humanity to local childhood obesity education programs and even lobbying in congress about issues such as human trafficking), you also have to go to various training meetings. These meetings teach you all sorts of things that essentially help you become an amazing woman. You can learn about public speaking, how to become a member of various charity boards, even about workplace politics. Then, of course you have monthly meetings to attend, as well as various fundraisers like Bachelor Auctions and black tie dinners. 

But, through it all, you are spending time with amazing women who are driven and intelligent and caring. You walk into volunteer event or a committee meeting and realize that you are surrounded by women who you wanted to be when you grew up. Also, it doesn't hurt that we all have pretty cute shoes :) 

Until next time,
xo
T

No comments:

Post a Comment