Thursday, August 28, 2014

When to Invest: Traditional vs Trend



VS

Both boots from Tory Burch

When I'm working on my seasonal budget, I'm often torn between whether I should spend my money on traditional pieces that will last me for years to come, or whether I should buy something trendy and fun. Since I do try to work within my budget, I figure out what amounts to about 20% of my income for about three months (ie the fall shopping season) and I figure out what I will buy that works within that budget. Obviously I try to find things that already match what I own, or outfits that will incorporate themselves nicely into my existing wardrobe. However, I always try to invest in a few key pieces such as a new pair of boots and a new jacket or coat every fall. And this is where the problem arises.

Because my mother made me start using a clothing budget when I was in the 4th grade, I have learned that the investment piece is usual a better buy. When I'm trying to figure out the cost per wear of the piece.  So, in the instance of booties, I realized that I had been looking for the perfect pair of high heeled winter booties pretty much since college (which was so long ago it seems!).  Chelsea booties, such as the trend pair, have only been on my radar for about a year or so, thus making them a less reasonable purchase in terms of cost per wear. I might wear them all winter long, but when they fall out of fashion's favor, I'll still wish I had bought the high heeled pair. If only they weren't so darn cute, though! 

Until next time,
xo
T

No comments:

Post a Comment