Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Winter Beauty Essentials


While I love cold weather for the ample layering opportunities it affords, it definitely tends to wreak havoc on my skin and hair.  Here are a few of my favorite things to get me through the coldest months of the year: 

1. Fresh Brown Sugar Body Polish: During the summer I can pretty much get away with a loofah, but the winter seems to cause more alligator skin than I care to admit. I've been using body polishes like this one since high school (playing water polo twice a day in a chlorinated pool gives you chronic dry skin...), and I discovered this one after my mom purchased it.  It's by far my favorite, I love the scent, and it does a marvelous job sloughing away dulling dead skin cells. 

2. Bumble and Bumble Mending Masque: I use Bumble and Bumble products for all my other hair care needs, and this mask was recommended to me by my old hair stylist back in California. I absolutely love it. I have fine hair that damages easily, so all of the styling that comes with the winter, as well as the drying cold air, leaves my hair sadly parched.  Using this mask once every few weeks helps keep the split ends at bay .

3. Fresh Body Oil: I originally thought body oils sounded completely gross.  I had visions of myself slipping out of chairs and staining silk blouses with the greasiness. However, as I mentioned, I've been dealing with dry skin since high school, and when things get really rough (like in the winter), no amount of lotion will do. I use body oil like this one from Fresh, and put it on just after I get out of the shower, letting it dry as I put on face lotion/brush my teeth/etc.

4. Clarisonic Pedi Foot Transformation set: I have the Clarisonic Mia scrubber for my face, which I am obsessed with and can't leave home without. If you don't have one, seriously go out and buy one right now. This pedicure system is the foot version of the Mia, and I love it *almost* as much. It keeps my feet nice and callous free, even with blister inducing boots and heels. 

5. Clarins Hand Creme: I like this hand creme, partly because of its luxurious texture, and also because of the simple, slightly old school scent. Hand creme is a no brainer during the winter, and I keep a bottle of this at my work desk so that I can use it throughout the day. 

6. Clinique Superdefense Lotion: This face moisturizer is a life saver.  I bought it during my first real winter (a trip to London when I was a teenager at Christmas time had my skin in a state of emergency) when the cold weather and indoor heating had drawn every last bit of moisture out of my skin. Using this everyday, in tandem with the Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief moisturizer at night (you can even throw in the matching mask on the weekends if you live in the tundra), will keep your skin perfectly quenched. 

Until next time, 
xo 
T

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these, I will have to check some of these out :)

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete